The normal human body temperature is 98.6o F(37o C). Anything above that is considered to be a fever. Fevers are often a sign that our body is fighting off some type of bacterial or viral infection. A fever that’s caused by an underlying viral illness is called a viral fever. A variety of viral infections can affect us ranging from the common cold to the flu. A low-grade fever is a symptom of any bacterial/viral infections. Various viral infections, such as dengue fever, can cause a higher fever.
Depending on the affected virus, the temperature can range between 99o F to 103o F(39o C). Symptoms vary depending on the virus and may vary from person to person. A few of the symptoms in case of viral fever are dehydration, weakness, headaches, muscle pains, loss of appetite, sneezing, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, congestion, etc.
Viruses are tiny infectious agents. They infect and multiply within the cells of our body. It may even kill, damage, or change the affected cells and make you sick. Viruses can attack various parts of your body like the liver, respiratory system, blood, etc. A fever shows that our body’s way of fighting off a virus. Many viruses are sensitive to variation in temperature, so a sudden increase in your body temperature makes you less vulnerable to viruses.
The few ways by which a person can contract infection are
- Inhalation - If an infected person sneezes or coughs near you, you can inhale in the droplets containing the virus. Common cold and flu are examples of viral infection through inhalation.
- Ingestion - Food and drinks, you consume can be contaminated with viruses. You can catch an infection through such food intake. Norovirus and enteroviruses are examples of such infection.
- Bites - Insects and other animals can be a carrier of viruses. You can develop an infection if they bite you. Dengue fever and rabies are examples of this type of viral infection.
- Bodily fluids - Exchanging bodily fluids with an infected person can transfer the illness. Hepatitis B and HIV are examples of this type of viral infection.
Viruses can be spread in various ways. Maintain a healthy and hygienic lifestyle. Avoid coming in contact with infected people. Try not to share your stuff with others. Always wash your hands before eating. Consume properly cooked food.
Viral and bacterial infections often show similar symptoms. Only a doctor can diagnose the disease by carefully studying your medical history, observing your symptoms, and distinguishing the symptoms. They will also take samples of blood or other bodily fluids and check for bacteria/viral presence.
Mostly, you don’t have to take medicines for low-viral fevers. They don’t respond to antibiotics like bacterial infections. Instead, you can take treatment on providing relief from your symptoms.
The ways which you can subsidize the infection are as follows:
- Take complete rest
- Keep yourself hydrated. You may tend to get dehydrated, therefore it is mandatory to take adequate water intake.
- Take a lukewarm bath to lower your body temperature.
- Take paracetamol/Crocin to ease pain and lower fever.
- Strictly homemade food to be consumed.
- Gargle your mouth if you have a sore throat.
Make sure that you consult a doctor if your symptoms last for more than 3 weeks or it keeps recurring. A child suffering from a fever above 104 degrees F should be taken to a doctor immediately. Likewise, babies older up to 12 weeks should be taken to a doctor immediately in case of any symptoms.
In case you develop any symptoms of a viral infection, don’t confuse yourself with Covid-19. Though most of the symptoms are similar, one major difference among the symptoms is the loss of taste/smell in the case of Covid-19. If you have normal symptoms of the flu, don’t get panic. But you can consult a doctor or take advice from a valid medical practitioner. Now, you have to follow all guidelines issued by the concerned authorities to contain the spread of the infection and keep yourself healthy.
We at Threeseas Meditour provide the best quality medical products like PPE kits, Facemasks, digital thermometers, and N95 masks at competitive rates. Visit our page for more details:https://meditour.in/